Toxic chemicals have become a burning issue since countless studies have linked them to various diseases and disorders. As you search the Internet vehemently to learn about harmless cleaning products, you are probably overwhelmed with the abundance of information.
The more you google, the more concerned you are about your family’s safety. So you start panicking because you can’t control every single product brought into your house.
On top of that, you lack time to scrub your house and need someone reliable to do it for you. After some research, you somehow manage to assure yourself you will find conscientious maid services in Fishers, Indiana, that won’t expose your family to dangerous evaporations. And you feel somewhat relieved.
However, there is more than meets the eye. Dangerous substances at home aren’t only hidden in cleaning products. Let’s identify their usual sources.
What are toxic chemicals in the home?
Believe it or not, toxic chemicals lurk in countless household items – from detergents and artificial air fresheners to cozy carpets. An all-inclusive list doesn’t exist due to their number, but we can, at least, identify the most common ones:
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are evaporating hazardous chemicals that pollute indoor air. Their sources are recently-bought carpets, home furnishings, new plastics, electronics, interior paints, pressed wood products, cosmetics, air fresheners, and cigarette smoke. Exposure can cause eye irritation, dizziness, headaches, liver, kidney, and central nervous system damage, and cancers.
- Phthalates make plastic softer, more durable, and flexible and prolong fragrance life. You’ll find them in everyday products such as plastic food storage containers, plastic wraps, and plastic bottles. These release phthalates into food, contaminating it. Nail polish, hair sprays, shampoos, and perfumes also contain this harmful substance. Phthalates are endocrine disruptors that chemically mimic hormones. They exacerbate asthma and allergies in children and cause liver and kidney lesions, and cancers.
- Parabens are pharmaceuticals and cosmetics preservatives. Products containing parabens include toothpaste, shampoo, moisturizers, and shaving gels, etc. They are endocrine disruptors too, which can be absorbed through the skin and cause cancers.
- Pesticides are present in food (fruits, vegetables, and meat), chemical lawn treatments, and household pest control products. Studies have indicated that exposure to certain pesticides may cause cancer. They also increase the risk of Parkinson’s disease, miscarriage, and nerve damage.
- Perfluorinated chemicals (PFCs) are popular in many products, from junk-food containers to furniture, flooring, and paints because they repel grease and water and are heat-resistant. They cause thyroid issues, immune and reproductive systems damage, high cholesterol, hypertension, and cancers.
How can I reduce the toxins in my home?
Although it seems impossible to reduce toxins due to their prevalence, the situation isn’t that hopeless. It just requires a little bit of your effort and time. You can:
- Check the labels carefully and buy VOC-free and paraben-free products.
- Opt for natural cosmetics whenever possible.
- Make DIY natural cleaning products.
- Invest in solid wood or hardboard instead of pressed wood products.
- Off-gas new products before taking them home.
- Impose a “no smoking” rule at home.
- Keep each room well-ventilated.
- Avoid wearing shoes at home to protect it from lawn chemicals.
- Buy phthalate-free plastic products. Avoid any food products in “recycling code-3” plastic containers, and products with the vague word “fragrance” in their ingredient list.
- Choose natural materials like cotton, linen, wood, bamboo, silk, or hemp.
- Buy organic food.
- Use essential oils to neutralize toxic fumes.
Who offers excellent maid services in Fishers, Indiana?
If you are looking for trustworthy cleaners to detail clean your house or to attend to it weekly, C&C Cleaning experts are there for you! We have won numerous awards thanks to our skilled cleaners, who respond to your needs and tackle any cleaning challenge professionally.
We offer customer-oriented services, and our goal is to give you some extra free time you’ve been sacrificing for too long. You will be able to stroll carelessly at Ritchey Woods Nature Preserve, while we render your house fresh and healthy, and you will feel energized when you see it. So, schedule an appointment now! You won’t regret it!