Now that the flu or cold is gone and you feel better, you probably don’t know where to start disinfecting your home against viruses and bacteria as you must have fallen behind with the cleaning chores while you were lying sick in bed.
Our first-rate house cleaning services in Carmel, IN are a perfect solution for such situations. Whether you need someone to disinfect the sink properly or a cleaning pro who knows how to keep your living room tidy and boost health with good home hygiene, we’re the ones to call. Still, if you want to beat those remaining bacteria and viruses on your own, read on to get our helpful recommendations for a smooth post-cold and post-flu routine.
How to clean your home after being sick?
Here’s a list of the rooms and things you should pay special attention to when cleaning and disinfecting after illness:
- Frequently touched surfaces. These are the main points of contact: doorknobs, light switch plates, railings, TV remote, laptops and phones used by the sick person. Disinfecting wipes have proved to be excellent for cleaning these items.
- Sick clothing and towels. The pajamas and other clothes worn by the sick person, as well as the used towels, should be machine washed at the hottest temperature that the material allows. Add any stuffed animals to this list too.
- The bathroom. The whole bathroom and especially the sink, faucets, toilet, and toilet handle will need a sanitizing treatment. Using the steamer and soaking your toothbrush in hydrogen peroxide for 30 minutes to kill any bacteria are great time-saving tricks.
- The kitchen. It’s very likely that the kitchen was also used by the sick person, so clean any dishware they used in the dishwasher and give the counters, the faucet, and fridge, cupboard, and drawer handles a good wipe down with a reliable disinfectant.
- Let the sunshine and fresh air in. It goes without saying that your house must be well aired out both during and after the sick family member’s recovery. When the old stale air is replaced regularly, it’s harder for germs to linger.
Should you wash your sheets after being sick?
The short answer to this question is: yes, definitely! Not only the sheets but the entire bedding, pillows and even mattresses in some cases absorb sick person’s fluids, primarily sweat.
So, take a moment to strip the bed off the entire bed linen, wash it and set up new bedding. Always wash on the hottest temperature and don’t “hug” dirty sheets as you take them to the washer, but use a laundry basket instead. Also, make sure to wash your hands in detail after you load the washer.
How long do flu germs live on bedding?
According to experts, most viruses can survive on hands for a very short time. Flu viruses, in particular, can survive only 5 minutes on hands and less than 15 minutes on tissues. However, they can survive for 24 hours on hard surfaces. The best prevention, in general, is to wash your hands often and keep them away from your face, as well as to consider the flu vaccine.
Book with the peerless house cleaning services in Carmel IN
After being sick, you will probably want to unwind and recharge your mind and body at a beautiful place such as the Palladium at the Center for the Performing Arts rather than get down to cleaning and scrubbing. We fully understand and support you in this, so you should know that our seasoned cleaning professionals are ready to run to your aid and make every inch of your space spotlessly clean. All you need to do is call us now!