Tips for Sanitizing Your Surfaces Effectively
Many surfaces in your home are high-touch points that must be regularly cleaned and sanitized in the proper way. It might seem like a simple task, but you should make sure that you’re not making some common mistakes while doing it.
In the current coronavirus situation, you need to both be familiar with the most effective cleaning methods against coronavirus and know how to properly disinfect the surfaces in your home. Also, you should be particularly careful when trying to clean your technology to perfection. Since all these cleaning and disinfection tasks take a big chunk of your free time, it is good to know that you have a dependable maid service in Fishers at your disposal.
What are the 5 steps to clean and sanitize a surface?
You’ll achieve the best results when cleaning the surfaces in your home if you follow this five-step routine:
- Preparation. Prepare both the surface and the supplies you’ll need for cleaning. Remove all objects, loose dirt and food particles from the surface. Prepare a fresh sponge and two cleaning cloths.
- Cleaning. Wash the surface using a sponge and warm soapy water. If possible, opt for a green cleaning product. The product must be appropriate for the material the surface is made of.
- Rinsing. It’s essential not to skip this step as it will make the sanitizing more effective. Use one clean cloth only for rinsing. Do it thoroughly using clean water.
- Sanitizing. Spray the surface with a sanitizing solution. Carefully follow the instructions for preparing the suitable solution and wipe using a clean cloth.
- Air-drying. Allow the sanitizer to air dry on the surface to maximize its effectiveness. Just make sure to read the instructions beforehand as some sanitizing products require rinsing after a set period of time.
How do you sanitize food surfaces?
Sanitizing food surfaces such as cutting boards, knives and kitchen equipment is essential for preventing food-borne illnesses. If these surfaces are not properly sanitized, bacteria can multiply to high levels. Sanitize these surfaces after usage and in case you are sanitizing appliances, don’t forget to unplug them first. If you use a dishwasher, use the sanitize feature if available.
You can sanitize food surfaces using either hot water or a sanitizing solution.
- The hot water method consists of soaking the dishes completely in 170°F water for at least 30 seconds.
- The sanitizing solution method means soaking the dishes for at least one minute in a solution made up of 1 tablespoon of unscented chlorine bleach and 1 gallon of cool water.
What product can be used to sanitize food surfaces?
Food surfaces require extra caution regarding the sanitizing products you use. It is safe to use one of the following agents after you have meticulously cleaned the surface:
- Diluted chlorine bleach. Make sure you only use a very small amount as it will be sufficient for killing bacteria and won’t leave any harmful residue. Mix one scant tablespoon of chlorine bleach with one quart of water. Never use chlorine with added fragrance on food surfaces!
- Vinegar or hydrogen peroxide. Never mix these two products. Instead, use a funnel to pour either distilled vinegar or hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle. Spray it onto your food contact surfaces, and let sit for 10 minutes, otherwise there will be no sanitizing effect.
Depend on our expert maid service in Fishers
Applying our helpful tips for cleaning and sanitizing your surfaces will surely produce great results, but if you don’t have the time to deal with all the tasks, there’s still no reason to worry. Just schedule a cleaning session with our expert cleaning team and they will clean and sanitize every surface in your home according to the latest industry standards. Give yourself some slack and take a breath of fresh air in Fort Harrison State Park once the coronavirus situation calms down. We guarantee you’ll come back to a fresh, healthy, and perfectly safe home. Book today!